5 Questions we want to answer during our
Menu Planning process:
1. Who is going to be there?
2. What are you going to eat?
3. How will the meal be nutritionally balanced?
4. Who is going to prepare it?
5. Progressing in my skill and having fun with it.
Note from the Chef:
You might ask yourself, "Why Plan?" Here are a few reasons to plan out your course.
1. You will find yourself more prepared even if something gets you off course.
2. Planning actually gets you prepared for your week, making you more effective.
3. Being prepared, you will rock with confidence.
4. If you plan you will actually save money when you execute your plan.
1. Who is going to be there? On the next page you will see a grid that you can utilize the format to help answer this question. Ex. on Monday; I work late, Joey has soccer, Amy has debate. Since there will be no one at home you could probably figure soup and cold cuts for when we get home.
2. What will we eat? I recommend starting a file, get an index filing box and keep record of what everyone likes to eat. You would save yourself some time if you included recipes, and things you want to try.
3. Balance is attainable: Though the task is worthy of the challenge, balancing between nutrition, ability, time and budget can be done. The great thing is that you are the chef, the author. Whatever you end up deciding will be fine. Keep the challenges in the forefront, persist and you can't lose.
4. Who is going to prepare it? Maybe Joey can turn the oven on and pop it in at a certain time. Maybe I can prepare it the night before.
5. Having fun with it and progressing in your skills Are there some things I can do with the kids? How can I challenge my ablilities? Put something in there,(and allow ample time) that will be different for me to cook.
|Raisins||Apple Sauce||Carrot stix||dried apricots|
|Turkey, Club Sandwich, juice box, chips||School Lunch||Peanut butter and jelly, apple sauce, juice box, ||Roast beef, cheddar cheese, pudding, juice box|
|Brown Rice, Stirfried Chicken breast, with asian mixed vegetables||Meatloaf, mashed yukon gold potatoes, carrots,gravy||Roast Chicken, potato wedges, peas, gravy||Pizza, Salad|
|Dinner||Macaroni and Cheese|
|Shopping||Chicken, asian mixed vegetables||bagels, bananas, apple sauce, crackers||muffins, apples, carrots, juice box|
|Needs||Toaster pastry,||turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato||cheese, Ground Beef, bread crumbs, potato||peas, ||Salad stuff|
|Cheese and Macaroni|
|Everyone is home||Pete has soccer practice will not be home||Everyone is home. John will pick up roast chix, potato wedges, gravy ||Mary is coming over for dinner. Order Pizza I will pick up on my way home|
|Blank Menu||Chart 1B|