The rich taste of chestnut in creamy soup
Want more recipes like this?Sign up for Chef Thymes!
- 4 oz. Bacon cooked, dice reserve fat
- 2 tbsp Shallot mince, or 1 small onion
- 2 each Carrot diced small
- 2 each Ribs of Celery
- 32 oz Chicken Stock
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 each Bay Leaf
- ½ tsp. Thyme or 1 sprig fresh
- ⅛ tbsp Grated Nutmeg to taste to taste
- ⅛ tsp Salt to taste
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ lbs Whole prepared shelled chestnuts
- 3 oz. flour
- In stock pot sautee, shallot, carrot, celery in bacon fat. Add chestnuts, toast in pan, add flour. Cook until flour is toasted.
- Add Stock, simmer for 30 minutes. Blend to smooth. Return to stove and add cream and spices. Simmer for 30 minutes. Adjust Seasonings and serve
Chestnuts are very firm, I found this soup is best if made the day before you want to eat it. The flavors are fuller as well as the fact that if you use an immersion blender on this soup on 2nd day or food processor that the texture of the chestnut is less grainy
Amount Per Serving (6 0z)
Calories 360 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 6g38%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 315IU6%
Vitamin C 35mg42%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Sign up for Chef Thymes Today
The Chefs Resources Page
The Chefs Resources is a place for you to quickly pick up items that are recommended as great tools in the kitchen. This is also a place that will offer suggestions for books and resources to aid you in your culinary adventures.